Hauling Industry News
Is your Dump Truck ready for Winter?
11 Things to Check to Get Your Truck Ready for Winter
Winter takes a toll on every kind of vehicle. With winter storms on the way, all drivers need to be prepared for anything when on the road. Besides being extra cautious while driving this winter, many people take extra precautions to make sure their vehicle can handle the elements. While you cannot control the weather, making sure your vehicle is prepared is something you can control.
Below is a checklist for you to ensure proper maintenance on your truck or car:
- Antifreeze levels – Add antifreeze to avoid freezing or cracking your engine block.
- Battery and ignition system – Confirm battery voltage is in good condition and ignition coils have proper resistance.
- Brakes – Check the amount of wear and maintain brake fluid levels.
- Exhaust system – Check for any leaks or crimped pipes and replace as necessary. Carbon monoxide is deadly and usually gives no warning.
- Fuel and air filters – Replace and keep water out of the system by using additives and maintaining a full tank of gas. A full tank will stop the fuel line from freezing.
- Heater and defroster – Make sure you can see through the front and back windshields, as well as all windows and blind spots.
- Lights and flashing hazard lights – Ensure all of your lights are working and other cars can see them.
- Oil – Check for oil level and weight. Heavier oils congeal more at low temperatures and do not lubricate as well.
- Tarps – Repair or replace the tarp on your dump truck if it will no longer hold the contents of your load in the truck bed.
- Windshield wiper equipment – Repair any broken windshield wipers since winter storms greatly impact visibility. Maintain proper washer fluid level and buy a de-icing windshield fluid.
- Winter tires – Invest in winters and ensure all tires have adequate tread. All-weather radials are usually acceptable for most winter conditions. However, some jurisdictions require that to drive on their roads, vehicles must be equipped with chains or snow tires with studs.
Trust Pulltarps to keep you safe and covered this winter. Our heaviest-duty, high-density tarps are specifically designed for rugged use on dump trucks and dump truck trailers.